Monday, July 16, 2012

Blog Post 13

Brian Crosby
Back to the Future

WOW! The best video I have watched in EDM310 by far! Mr. Crosby is a great teacher. I wish he could be my teacher. His love for learning and showing kids how to learn is unbelievable. He uses hands on science experiments. He teaches his students to use blogging to enrich learning in his class. They have wiki places. He gets to role with his students for three years. My favorite is when he said "They get to shine". Is this not want we want kids to do? Shine!! I loved it.


How Will you Teach me in the 21st Century

I liked this video. Sure great point..What am I waiting on?? I want to be a guide in leading my students into technology. But I want to lead them in multiple ways with many different tools. I just don't want to use technology alone. I want to be a well rounded teacher. I feel like if I focus o technology all the time...where are my teaching skills that I learned in college going? If they are not useful anymore, then why didn't I learn how to teach differently?

What I want my students

1.I want my students to know how to use the technology tools for learning...Not just enjoyment.

2. I want my students to be able to do a Personal Learning Network. The key word for me is learning.

3. I want my students to have experienced...HISTORY. I think History is being pulled out of school. I believe History is a very important subject. Have you ever heard of history repeating it's self???

4. I want my students to collaborate with other students. However, I will give specific guidelines of who does what. I have not had a good experience with collaboration this summer. So, I am going to make sure that with my own students I can teach them guidelines and help when they hit bumps in the road.



Melinda Kraft

Melinda Kraft has a great way of showing ho to do assignments on the compter. She gives excellant details on how to make videos. Her videos are short and to the point. Which I like.

I would create short, but very informative videos for my students. I want to go step by step on how to do the assignment that I am asking them to do. I want to actually do the assignment that I am asking of my students. What student wants to do something for you, that you haven't even done yourself. I believe teaching is going to be a lot harder than I thought. The hardest thing is going to be keeping up with technology and how rapidly it changes.




A Vision of Students Today

A Vision of Students Today is showing us as teachers what we need to focused on. We don't need to make our students buy textbooks that they hate reading. We need to use all the tools of technology. Because that is what our students are using. It will make our classes so much more valuable to our students. These students are bored and don't come to class. When they do come to class they are not paying attention.


The Basic Technology Tool Kit of a Teacher

Tool Kit was a great site. It helped ease my nerves about the tools I need to know. She said that as a teacher we need to know how to use the tools of technology. We need to check our emails daily. We need to know how to use a laptop, store/retrieve data, and manage photos. The most important one was to be a part of an online environment. We need to blog and teach our students to blog. This site was very helpful. I will revisit this site, when I feel overwhelmed.


Exemplar of Students Work with Video
Allowing ANY student to help is a great video. It touched my heart. Carlton was amazing. He was so great to watch. If he would haven't been in the video, it wouldn't have been worth watching. This lets me know to have every student no matter how that student is to be involved in things we do in class. I think this goes for students that are labeled "bad" too. When I student taught I buddy up with the so called "bad" student. When my last day came, he said " How aam I going to make it here without you?" I told him well remember what I have said and just try to behave. All that student needed was someone not to tell him how "bad" he was. He needed someone not to get on to him all the time. And not send him to the office everyday. I wonder about how is going to do in middle school. I believe teachers get caught up in only letting the straight A, sweet kind students to do cool stuff. When the students that are a little more difficult are the ones that need the extra attention and things to do to make them feel like they are somebody. I hope and pray that I do not change that about myself once I get my own classroom.

Little Voices

Using iPads at School is a wonderful idea. The ideas that you as a teacher can come up with and allow your students to use are endless. I would love to work at a school that allows my students to use iPads for learning. I would love for my two sons to go to a school that allows their students to be taught content area through the use of iPads.

I think that it is great what this teacher is allowing their students to do with these iPads. They can research content area, blog, watch videos, and have PLN's on the iPads. I want to be in thsi class. I want my sons in this class.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lori,

    You have only completed 2 of the 6 parts to this blog post. I only count 2 because in the blog post instructions it says to write 2 quality paragraphs for "A Vision for Students Today", and you only have one.

    As of now, your assignment is incomplete. If you want to complete it, email me when it is complete and I will change your assignment to "late".

    Thanks,
    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...where are my teaching skills that I learned in college going? If they are not useful anymore, then why didn't I learn how to teach differently?" When did you learn to teach? Where did you learn to teach? Do you now know all there is to know? I don't think anyone in EDM310 advocates only using technology. But I am convinced that learning should never stop!

    "I believe teaching is going to be a lot harder than I thought. The hardest thing is going to be keeping up with technology and how rapidly it changes. " No kidding. This sounds quite different from the quote I used in the paragraph above from your first commentary.

    "This site was very helpful. I will revisit this site, when I feel overwhelmed." Do that. But do even more. Follow @dorothyjburt on Twitter. Keep up with what is happening at the school where she is in charge of e-instruction: Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand.Set up an RSS feed for her blog. Add her to your PLN. Follow @jshe (who teaches 1st grade at Pt. England) as well.

    Well, I think on reflection that the assignment for Blog Post #13 was excessive. Maybe that contributed to your being late on most (4 out of 6) of the required portions of this post.

    ReplyDelete